The Milk Lounge


Thirsty Thursdays: 08

Our 8th week of Thirsty Thursdays? Wow, that's like, 2 months. I'll start off with a small addition to my last post involving notable modern guitarists. Pictured above is the mexican acoustic guitar duo, Rodrigo y Gabriela. They met in a thrash metal band, got fed up with the narrow minded mexican music scene, and moved to Dublin. Their style is a fusion of flamenco, jazz, latin and rock. Their latest s/t album is an all instrumental acoustic guitar masterpeice that includes a cover of Led Zep's "Stairway To Heaven" and Metallica's "Orion", along with seven other original works. They are currently touring the US, and are confirmed as an opening act for Muse at Wembley Stadium. The song below is the opener for their latest album and was inspired by a man in Mexico named Tamacun. This man lives in a small town and takes care of all the crocodiles being threatened by government construction. On the bonus DVD that comes with the album, there is footage of Tamacun with his crocodile friends that is very entertaining.

Rodrigo y Gabriela- "Tamacun" [Removed]

I purchased Omar Rodriguez's latest solo album, "Se Dice Bisonte, No Bufalo", a couple of days ago and would like to share a track with you. You already know about him from the previous post so I'll just talk about the song. It goes by the name of "Rapid Fire Tollbooth" and is actually a mainstay of The Mars Volta's live setlist. This is the first time it has been formally released in a studio version and has a great guitar solo. It's fantastic.

Omar Rodriguez- "Rapid Fire Tollbooth" [Removed]

That conclude's the addition to the guitarist post, now back to some delicious tracks that have caught my ear recently. This one is a cover of Andrew WK's "I Get Wet" by a man named Jon Sebastian. I think it's the simplicity of this song that makes me love it so much. I'm pretty sure it's just a keyboard beat, some acoustic guitar, and overdubbed vocals, but the amazing thing is that Mr. Sebastian transforms this in your face party anthem into a soothing, almost apologetic ballad. It's not just the novelty of the contrast between the two versions, this song is genuinely beautiful and I highly recomend that you download it.

Jon Sebastian- "I Get Wet [Andrew WK cover]" [Removed]

Now for Dan Deacon's "The Crystal Cat" from his recently released "Spiderman of the Rings" album. DD is an electronic music composer with graduate studies in electro-acoustic and computer music composition. Cool! This song is a journey into electronic experimentation that includes a little dance, a little rock, and a pinch of quirk. Excellent.

Dan Deacon- "The Crystal Cat" [Removed]

I was listening to my library on random today when I heard a familiar voice. I checked the song and it was from The Microphones' "Tests" album. It's called "Oh Anna" and I'm almost certain the guest vocalist is Khaela Maricich of The Blow. This would make sense as The Microphones and The Blow share space on the K Records label. Khaela is my most favoritest female vocalist at the moment, and hearing her guest on a Microphones track was a pleasant suprise. "Oh Anna" is a bouncy, lo-fi diddy complete with hand claps and muddy guitar. Yummy.

The Microphones- "Oh Anna" [Removed]

Shout Out Louds stole my heart with "Hurry Up Let's Go" from their debut "Howl Howl Gaff Gaff". Now they have a new album "Our Ill Wills" slated for US release on September 11, 2007. They've toured with the likes of The Strokes, Kings Of Leon, and Secret Machines, and the bass player was the director for Peter Bjorn and John's award winning video for "Young Folks". Also, Bjorn of PB&J produced the upcoming album, which is already out in their native Sweden. The first single for "Our Ill Wills" is "Tonight I Have To Leave It" and I have it here for your listening pleasure.

Shout Out Louds- "Tonight I Have To Leave It" [Removed]

Hope you enjoyed the songs and I hope you like the blog. Pipe and I put a lot of work into and would love some input on what all of you think about it. So feel free to comment, e-mail, or even stalk. Also, if you'd like to find more great mp3 blogs, search for music that you like on The Hype Machine and check out the blogs that come up. Works for me!

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Responses to “Thirsty Thursdays: 08”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I think it's really cool that you've taken the time to make this blog and keep it updated. It's quite pleasing aesthetically and I haven't had a chance to go all the way through the last entries but I'm going to because I'm always trying to find people who love music and who can, you know, hook me up with it :) Thank you for your work, sir(s).  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Rod and Gab are brilliant. They have influenced our music a great deal. If you like their music you should check us out at;

    www.myspace.com/farinomusic

    all the best,
    Farino  

Post a Comment

      • Subscribe




© 2007 The Milk Lounge